Do your child’s stories tend to revisit the same topics and themes such as a best friend or favorite sport, hobby or place? Sometimes kids (and adults too) just need a little spark for the mind.
Imagination Dice are wood dice with images on each side to generate ideas and inspire creativity. They help overcome a thinking rut by solving the “I don’t know what to write about” response we often hear from our kiddos.
Imagination Dice build on writing and communication skills while encouraging creativity, imagination, humor and silliness. Some of the skills that are developed are:
- Word Associations
- Verbal Communication (expressing your thoughts and ideas)
- Listening Skills
No matter what your child’s future has in store, these are practical skills he/she will need to see growth and success.
Using Imagination Dice is a fun and engaging way to enrich your child’s education at home. When playing with them, model the expanding of ideas and using lively verbs and adjectives. All ages can work together to create amazing stories and memories your child will cherish forever. Family activities like using Imagination Dice build confidence in expressing and sharing ideas.
You can print a reproducible Imagination Dice ideas sheet at: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Imagination-Dice
Other Ideas and Tips for the Imagination Dice:
- Dinner time activity for the whole family
- Icebreaker in a meeting
- Classroom- Writing station or Rainy Day Recess Activity
- Great for travel- Keep a bag of them in your car for all those times you are waiting at sports practices, doctor’s offices, and restaurants
- Make or purchase as gifts (Teacher gifts, Hostess gifts, or Party Favors)
- Record your family stories as a keepsake
- Write all your stories in a journal
- Make Imagination Dice with various themes.
- Use stone and rocks to create Imagination Stones. Place an image on each side of the stone.
- Check out my Pinterest board with other great ideas and suggestions for story cubes and story stones
Print a free list of image ideas by category at:
Holidays (Christmas, Easter & Halloween)
Animals (zoo, farm, Pets, Ocean)
Flags & Travel
Tools & Construction
Resources and Supplies:
Stickers- Mrs. Grossman, Sandy lion Stickers, Sticker books
Stamps: Small stamps to stamp images
Markers or Pain Pens: Use permanent markers or paint pens to draw your own images
Mod Podge- Any craft store like Michael’s crafts, Joanne’s Fabrics or Hobby Lobby
1 Inch Cubes- can be purchased at a craft store or if you want to purchase in bulk check out www.Caseywood.com or www.craftparts.com
Stones- Collect ones you find or purchase at a craft store in the floral/vase department.
Don’t want to make your own?
Get the same benefits and hours of fun with one or all of these great products from www.ThinkingIQ.com. We sell the best products to use for story telling and creative writing: Tell Tale, Rory’s Story Cubes and Think-ets. All include ideas for games and activities. Dry Erase Dice are another great product and you change the images anytime. We also carry Chat Pack Questions for Kids, which is great for family discussions and journal writing topics.
We hope you have a wonderful time creating memories with your stories inspired by your Imagination Dice.